August 20, 2022
Did You Know You Can Obtain Financial Aid for Cosmetology School?
Cosmetology schools are excellent resources for students with a passion for beauty and helping others. Like most higher learning institutions, cosmetology schools can offer qualifying students financial aid and scholarships to help ease their financial burden. Hair Professionals Career College is proud to offer its future beauty professionals an affordable way to fund their new career paths. Here, we dive deeper into the financial aid and scholarships available at cosmetology schools and the ways students can apply.
How Can Cosmetology Schools Offer Financial Aid?
Federal student aid is funding available exclusively for students who are attending a post-secondary educational institution in the United States, and the funding obtained is used to help cover the costs needed to pursue their program. Because many cosmetology schools, such as Hair Professionals Career College, are accredited institutions, they are able to accept federal financial aid. This means eligible cosmetology students can acquire the same aid as students who are pursuing a degree from a traditional college or university.
How to Apply For Federal Aid
Cosmetology students who wish to obtain federal aid to help pay for educational expenses must first apply. To begin, students are required to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. To complete the application, students will need to have the following information on hand:
- Federal income tax returns and W-2 forms
- Social security number or another identification number (if not a U.S. citizen)
- Driver’s license number, if applicable
- Bank statements and investment information
- Earning records for untaxed income, such as child support or veteran benefits
- School code for your higher learning institution
Federal financial aid isn’t the only resource students have in helping pay for cosmetology school. Students are also able to apply for scholarships. Unlike student loans, scholarship awards do not need to be paid back. Students can receive scholarships from the beauty institutions themselves or through various other opportunities.
Hair Professionals Career College is proud to offer scholarships to high school graduates and former alumni who wish to further their professional careers. To be eligible for our High School Cosmetology Scholarship, students must begin their education with us in either June or July immediately following their high school graduation date. Alumni are able to receive discounts when they choose to enroll in additional courses.
Cosmetology students are not just limited to scholarships offered by Hair Professionals Career College. Students are welcome to seek additional aid through other opportunities. We recommend the following programs:
- ACE program: Provided by the American Association of Cosmetology Schools (AACS), this program offers scholarships to qualified students as they pursue a rewarding career in cosmetology.
- Beauty Changes Lives: Offered throughout the year, the Beauty Changes Lives Foundation generously offers a wide range of scholarship opportunities to eligible students. These scholarships range in eligibility requirements and award amounts. For most scholarships, students must be currently enrolled or accepted into a beauty program.
- AACS Industry Partner: Partnering with leading industry brands, the American Association of Cosmetology Schools offers sponsor scholarship opportunities for cosmetology students. Each scholarship varies in award amount and application deadline.
Cosmetology students are also encouraged to explore other scholarships online.
Don’t Forget About Grants
Another form of aid to assist students in paying for cosmetology school is grants. Grants are a type of financial support that generally does not need to be paid back, much like scholarships. What differentiates grants and scholarships are scholarships are awarded based on merit or talents whereas grants are generally given based on financial need, although sometimes merit does come into play. Cosmetology students who seek grants based on their chosen career path can oftentimes find them.
Learn More About Finding Financial Aid for Cosmetology School
Students enrolled in a cosmetology program may be able to receive financial aid to help cover costs. While attending beauty school can be an investment in your future and lead to a meaningful career, that does not mean the entire cost of your education should have to come out of your pocket. Students who have been accepted or are enrolled in one of our three cosmetology school campuses located in Oswego, Palos Hills, and Sycamore, Illinois, can contact Hair Professionals Career College to learn more about their financial aid options.