January 30, 2024
How Long Does Cosmetology School Take?
Earning your cosmetology license is the first step toward a career in the beauty industry. Whether you aspire to become a salon hair stylist, a movie makeup artist, a resort spa therapist, or even a wedding industry stylist, all paths to beauty careers begin with cosmetology school.
Cosmetology education is of great importance, as the classes you take will prepare you with the skills and professionalism you will need to thrive in the future. Cosmetology school includes lessons on safety, skin care, business management, and styling skills. But of course, it’s only natural to wonder how long it takes to complete cosmetology school so your new life can begin.
How long does cosmetology school take? We’ll help you understand the answer to this question and more.
Cosmetology Education in Illinois
At Hair Professionals Career College, cosmetology education is tailored specifically to meet Illinois’ licensing requirements, ensuring that you’re not just prepared, but also eligible for your cosmetology license upon graduation. In Illinois, cosmetologists must complete a designated number of educational hours, a criterion meticulously integrated into our program. This local focus not only gives you a competitive edge in the Illinois beauty industry but also aligns your learning experience with state-specific standards.
Our cosmetology program is 1500 hours and focuses on artistry, technical training, and hands-on experience. Along with technical skills, you can learn business basics. Our curriculum includes real-world strategies you can take with you and use for a lifetime. You’ll learn about building a client base, showing your talents, and marketing yourself on social media. In this program, you can expect to learn:
- Hair styling
- Hair coloring
- Chemical hair treatments
- Hair design
- Hair, skin, and nail anatomy
- Makeup application
- Salon safety and sanitation
- Salon management
- Professional ethics State laws and regulations
- And more
What Sets Hair Professionals Career College Apart?
Our cosmetology program is distinct for several reasons:
- Guest Lectures and Workshops: We frequently invite seasoned professionals from various beauty industry sectors to share their insights and experiences, providing you with real-world perspectives and networking opportunities.
- State-of-the-Art Facilities: Our college boasts modern facilities that simulate real salon environments, equipped with the latest tools and technologies. This ensures that you are comfortable and familiar with contemporary salon settings.
- Comprehensive Curriculum: Beyond the basics of styling, our curriculum covers facets like skin care, business management, and safety. We believe in creating well-rounded professionals who are prepared for any career path in the beauty industry.
- Hands-On Learning Experience: Practical training is a cornerstone of our approach, allowing you to apply your skills to real clients under expert supervision.
How Long Does Cosmetology School Take?
Our program is designed to be completed within 1-2 years, encompassing the 1500 hours mandated by Illinois state regulations. This duration is a careful balance between thorough education and getting you into your career as swiftly as possible.
Once you have completed your cosmetology program, you need to apply for the Illinois State Board of Cosmetology licensing exam. This usually involves filling out an application form and paying an exam fee. The exam consists of a written test covering topics like salon safety and hair care, and a practical test where you demonstrate your cosmetology skills.
Once you pass both the written and practical exams, apply for your license through the IDFPR, submitting proof of your exam success and the necessary fees. Keep in mind that cosmetology licenses in Illinois need renewal every two years, which may involve continuing education.
Tips for Success in Cosmetology School
If you are preparing to enter cosmetology school, you can prepare yourself for success with a few smart tips to improve your studying power and the skills you learn from your courses.
- Learn to manage your time to complete your priorities
Time management is a critical skill for students. The ability to manage your time through organization and pacing can help you achieve all of your goals each day, including class, studying, and other demands on your time.
- Set aside time to study each day, even on days you don’t have class
Make sure that you study every day. This includes days that you don’t have class. Read over the lessons recently covered, read ahead in the book, and don’t be afraid to sleep on a concept that you find difficult. Sleep is important to the learning process.
- Work with a partner, you often remember more by studying with a friend
Many people learn that they study better when they study with a friend. Quizzing each other and talking about your coursework can help you remember the classes and lessons more clearly.
- Make the most of your practical training hours
One of the greatest benefits of a good cosmetology school is that you get plenty of practical training hours in a salon-like setting. You will be able to practice your new skills with real people with your instructor close by to help. Be sure to make the most of these hours.
- Practice cosmetology skills at home and with friends
You can also practice your growing cosmetology skills at home with friends and fellow students to build your practical skills.
- Balance school hours with your other commitments
Lastly, don’t neglect the other aspects of your life. You will get more out of cosmetology school if you also balance your other commitments.
Exploring Cosmetology School with Hair Professionals Career College
Getting your cosmetology license first requires a mandatory number of hours in cosmetology school. At Hair Professionals Career College, our cosmetology program is 1500 hours, which you can complete within one or longer. Aspiring cosmetologists looking to pursue their passion should first invest in their education. Students can reach out to the Hair Professionals Career College for more information on what it takes to become a Cosmetologist and how to get started.